Master Gardener Spotlight Stories
Gardening Tips - Adaptive Gardening
Gardeners have special challenges as we age and develop restrictive health and body issues. With a few modifications we can still enjoy puttering in the garden, leaving the heavy work to paid help. Here are a few of my favorite tools and tips.
- Wear good shoes that won’t slip. Falling is hazardous so always be mindful of obstacles or slippery slopes
- Work in one hour spurts when your energy is at its best, early morning perhaps. Rest for a few minutes in the shade and drink water.
- Use a kneeling bench to protect the knees and provide arm support for standing back up easily. These can even work on hillsides if positioned correctly.
- Wear a wide brimmed hat, long sleeves and protective sunscreen.
- Minimize tools in a tool belt: Good pruners, Hori Hori knife, and sharpener for sure.
- Use a retractable hose to avoid tripping over a long one.
- Here are some more TIPS