Tip: How to Keep Cut Flowers Fresh
- Cut flowers early in the morning before the temperature rises.
- Be sure you use a clean vase, not a scummy one! Use a drop of bleach and a bottle brush.
- The most important tip? Refresh water in the vase every two days.
- Cut flowers from the market come with a package of preservative that will prolong the life of the bouquet. You can make your own preservative by adding 1 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, and ½ tsp. bleach to one quart of water.
- Remove leaves that are below the water line to keep the water clean.
- Keep the arrangement out of direct sunlight.
By Katie Martin and Marie Narlock