Fire-smart Landscaping - Fire Facts
A Few Fire Facts
- California wildfires are becoming more frequent, intense, and destructive. There are many reasons why, including more wildland vegetation, more development in the WUI, and the pervasive effects of climate change: more heat over longer periods, more wind, and less moisture.
- Embers are the most significant cause of home ignition in wildfires. Embers are small pieces of burning material that can travel more than a mile from a wildfire. They can create spot fires when they land on combustible materials such as dry leaves in your gutter.
- Fire starts when oxygen and heat come in contact with fuel. Fuel is anything that burns. Don’t be fuelish! Common sources of fuel during a wildfire include:
- Dry or dead trees, shrubs, perennials
- Garden tools and brooms
- Green waste containers
- Garden and patio furniture and cushions
- Jute or natural fiber door mats
- Stack of wood