Edible Demo Garden at Indian Valley Organic Farm & Garden
UC Marin Master Gardeners plan, plant, maintain and harvest the garden as part of the hands-on teaching program. Produce will be grown in accordance with Marin Organic Certified Agriculture (MOCA) standards and will be sold by IVOF&G. Monthly educational workshops provide the knowledge necessary to create successful food gardens at home. In a Citizen Science area, UC MMGs test garden challenges and the viability of popular garden trends.
* Raised Bed Garden: The raised bed garden consists of six beds made from redwood and planted with a mix of annuals, perennials and herbs. Beds will be changed seasonally.
* Straw Bale Garden: Growing food in straw bales is an example of container gardening with ergonomic benefits. This garden plot may explore other kinds of container gardening and ergonomics in the future. Beds will be changed seasonally.
* Perennial Garden: The perennial edible garden showcases edibles you will plant only once, or only once in many years. The garden has examples of an espaliered fruit tree and a small fruit tree. It also showcases the concept of edible landscaping, growing in containers, growing in raised beds made from fir, and growing edible flowers and teas.
* Citizen Science Garden where MMGs will test garden techniques such as heirloom tomatoes grafted on disease resistant stock, companion planting, soil amendments or edibles that have been a challenge to grow.
Edible Demonstration Garden Activities:
* Self-Guided Tours: You are invited to tour the garden on your own and self-tour guides are available on-site.
* Guided Tours: Private educational tours are available for groups for a nominal fee. To schedule a private tour, please contact Marin Master Gardeners at EdibleDemoGarden@MarinMG.org
* Monthly Workshops: Offered every third Saturday, 10 a.m. – noon, January – October at IVOF&G. Check upcoming events on the public website at: http://www.marinmg.ucanr.edu
Edible Demonstration Garden Hours:
Garden hours are the same as IVOF&G: Tues. – Sat. 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Curious about the farm in which The Edible Demonstration Garden is located?
It’s the Indian Valley Organic Farm & Garden on the Indian Valley Campus of College of Marin, in Novato. In 2006, three community partners, UC Cooperative Extension-Marin Master Gardeners, the Conservation Corps North Bay and the College of Marin embarked on a landmark project to establish this 5.8 acre educational organic farm. The Cultural Conservancy joined the partnership in 2013. The farm showcases sustainable agricultural practices and grows over 100 varieties of vegetables, fruits, flowers and herbs.
IVOF&G invites the community to tour the farm, to volunteer, to shop at the Saturday produce stand and to buy garden starts at spring and fall plant sales.
Directions to Indian Valley Organic Farm & Garden