What Are Garden Walkers Trained In?
Marin Master Gardeners are trained in the following areas:
- Climate, Microclimate and Site Analysis
- Botany and Plant Taxonomy
- Soils, Composting and Mulching
- Plant Propagation
- Ornamental Plants, Trees, and Shrubs
- Drought Tolerant and Native Plants
- Growing Vegetables and Fruits
- Plant Pathology
- Insects – Pests and Beneficials
- Integrated Pest Management
- Water Wise Irrigation Practices
- Garden Design
- Weeds and Invasive Plants, Fire-safe Planting
In addition, our Master Gardeners Garden Walkers are further trained by the water conservation experts at Marin Municipal Water District by the Conservation team.
In the training Master Gardeners deepen their knowledge of the 7 Principles for Landscaping Sustainably:
- Landscape Locally
- Less to the Landfill
- Nurture the Soil
- Conserve Water
- Conserve Energy
- Protect Water & Air Quality
- Create Wildlife Habitat
Which results in:
- Cleaner water & air
- Less waste
- Healthier homes & communities
- Healthier soils and landscapes
- Greater abundance of wildlife
Focusing on water efficiency, Garden Walkers are trained on irrigation delivery systems(automated and manual), proper maintenance and, of course, detection of leaks and system faults. The more efficient your water delivery system is the smaller you water bill will be. Likewise we review the health of your soil, and finally how healthy are your plant selections.
The combined trainings and experience provides you, the gardener, a very effective garden consultant. We will advise you on a healthier garden.
If you would like to have a Marin Master Gardener come to your garden for an hour long consultation please fill out an online request for a Garden Walk.